PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft down in Canley Vale
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2010, 21:40
Air Ace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GADRIVR

The move to GA turbine aircraft began many years ago - it is not some new innovation. From my 40 plus years in the aviation industry, I clearly recall the introduction of Twin Otter, Bandeirante, Metro, Mitsubsihi, Aerocommander, Cessna and other turbine and turbo jet aircraft from the early 1970s.

People with short memories seem to suggest only twin piston engine aircraft are involved in accidents similar to yesterdays accident. My memory of the last two similar accidents discussed on these forums involved a Westwind at Norfolk Island and a Brasilia in Darwin.

I suspect there is little difference in the accident record of twin piston engine aircraft, versus twin turbine powered aircraft, considering the hours and sectors flown, despite generally a difference in pilot experience levels between piston engine and turbine powered aircraft.

I'll wait for an informed, competent report from the ATSB before drawing any conclusions.

The USA currently has 70% first year depreciation
And despite a significantly larger GA industry and a regulator whose mandate includes promotion of aviation, the US air charter industry is still full 30 plus year old of round engine Beech 18s, DC3s, DC4s, and Queenairs, Cessna 400 series, Piper twins etc.