PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 15th Jun 2010, 20:35
Caribbean Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Willie Walsh interview

Here is the link to a video of an FT interview with Willie Walsh.
Jun 10: Willie Walsh of BA - full interview - view from the top - companies - FT.com

Here are some highlights from the interview.

Why are you pursuing this strike at the moment to the bitter end?
I don't see it as the bitter end. It's important to point out that the vast majority of cabin crew have actually continued to work. But it's absolutely critical to BA that we address the inefficiency in our business.

What kind of change in culture do you want to see?
We've got to make immediate savings to compensate for the significant downturn in revenue that we've seen. But more importantly, we've got to have a cost base that's competitive, and that isn't the case at BA or it certainly wasn't the case.

But you've largely agreed on the cost savings. People don't really know what the dispute is about now.

The issue really is translating an agreement in principle into changes in behaviour and changes in work practices. I've been involved in industrial relations for almost 30 years, and I recognise that the most important part of any deal is implementation.

What will you do if there is a new ballot?

I will do anything and everything within the law to ensure that BA can continue to fly. So the message to our customers is that BA will continue to fly. The trade union has failed in its objective to ground BA.

Aren't you worried about losing some core corporate customers?

No, I'm not. My sole worry is about long-term viability. These customers want to see BA succeed. We've had fantastic support from our corporates and fantastic support from our regular customers.

Could you sack the striking crew?

The question I think is irrelevant, because we've demonstrated that we can succeed in operating our schedules with the cabin crew who are coming to work.

When did you last go on holiday?

I haven't taken a holiday in just over five years [since becoming BA chief executive]. But I love my work. I'm loving my job at BA.

What's the point of being a full-cost, premium airline when you often treat passengers a bit like Ryanair does?

We don't treat passengers like Ryanair.

People talk about poorer service
Our customer service standards have risen. Our operational performance has increased.
On baggage, for example, it seems you're counting each kilo and each pound and applying rules very strictly instead of using common sense.

The issue that caused many of my customers to complain directly to me was one day the people didn't charge them when they should have, and the next day they were charged. Now the problem there is: that's inconsistent, so the customer is confused. What we've said is that's unfair to customers.

Does it make sense to merge with Iberia, another former state-owned airline with highly paid crew?

It makes sense to pursue consolidation in this industry. Iberia has got a fantastic network in Latin America.