PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA crew fed up with JFK ATC - declares emergency.
Old 15th Jun 2010, 17:20
4runner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They said they are going to declare an emergency. This indicates that if ATC does not clear them for 31, the WILL declare an emergency and do what the crew needs to do. All you have to do to declare an emergency is to state "we're declaring an emergency". That's it. I'm sure you armchair, virtual airline wannabes are flipping through the pages of your manuals and handbooks. This was an experienced and capable captain and you are in no position to pass judgement. I personally dislike American Airlines for a number of reasons mainly related to jumpseating, but if this guy was a senior captain there, he knows his stuff. The airline is called the Sky Nazis for a reason. By saying we are going to declare an emergency, the captain was merely telling JFK that he is landing on 31 and if necessary, will declare an emergency if ATC does not comply with his request for 31. He didn't have to be such a ******** about it though. He was right in his decision but I think he could of handled it a little more diplomatically and with greater regard to other traffic. There are 3 major airports within 25 miles of JFK and this is probably the busiest airspace in the world. The captain used his authority and safely landed the plane. Nuff said. This would never happen in Asia or Africa I don't think. Only a western pilot speak up like this. After working overseas for a few years, I have come to the conclusion that many pilots outside of the West will do whatever ATC tells them to, regardless of safety or common sense. A perfect example was last week in Nairobi when an aircraft was held and randomly vectored for 50 minutes because of a VIP(not notamed) departure. The aircraft being held questioned ATC and another aircraft(of Kenyan registry) chimed on the frequency to "do what the controller tells you to do". This is why Africa accounts for 10% of all air traffic but 90% of all air accidents. Good job fellas, you sound like an asshole but you did your job and didn't take any ****. I won't invite you out for a beer but I'll feel safe with you at the controls.