PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2010, 15:04
thehighlander959

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a point her gentlemen. I worked in Libya for a few years offshore, we used to depart from the International Airport flying with a very professional French based Helicopter company.
On all the Dauphin flights from that airport we had no problems other than slight delays due to weather or minor technical problems, which were always repaired prior to the aircraft departing for the field which was about 45 minutes offshore and very close to the Tunisian border.

Over the last fifteen months when I was their this professional company was deemed to be to expensive by the Libyan Government Oil Company operator. They canceled the contract and brought in a Qatar operator (name on request) based helicopter operation who moved their flight operations to Metiga Airport which was the old American base in Tripoli. And was used for VIP flights, it was also used by the President of Libya and his family for their recreational use to fly elsewhere in the world.
The President or his family never used the international airport because of inadequate poor weather facilities when I was their.
I have had more scares taking off and landing from Metiga Airport due to laziness of Libyan ATC here is an example "we were lined up ready to take off.
An IL-76 from the Libyan national airline carrying out freight operations demanded clearance to land immediately.
We were ordered to taxi from the runway to allow him to touchdown. This was done and an argument ensued as to why an Oil Company helicopter was being allowed to use the main runway at Metiga Airport which was designated for Libyan and VIP Flights.

I have also had to face down a TU-134 that has clearance to take off from the opposite end of the runway. The Libyan pilots of the Bell 214 were absolutely aghast. Another mistake that could have had catastrophic consequences.

Life in the Oil and Gas business is not always easy.