PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft down in Canley Vale
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2010, 14:06
GADRIVR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The industry race to the bottom has been driven by government and bigger company contracts all based on the lowest price without any regard to what has been purchased."

"An absurd statement really. All purchasing contracts - building construction, supply of parts and equipment, supply of transport services etc - are based on the lowest price, whether Government or private enterprise."

Air Ace,
Not an absurd comment at all. I've been involved in tendering government contracts outside of aviation and a lot of the time price is not the major consideration.
However with Fixed Wing Non Emergency transport, a lot of the time there is no contract per se but rather a "preferred supplier" or "approved supplier" status... sometimes. Price (as you've correctly asserted) seems to indeed be the major driver in deciding who gets those gigs.

"If you have a problem with the age, quality or performance of the Australian GA fleet, take it up with the operators, most of whom happily indulge in a race to the bottom, selling a commodity for less than it's cost."

Dunno about "happily indulge" mate! All of the decent operators would love to have modern turbines performing the job. A few are actually pursuing that option as we speak however they are running up against other operators who really do ride the ragged edge financially as it were. I'd predict though that over the next few months, regardless of the accident investigation result, you'll see small jets starting to replace the pistons. Small steps eh?

"How about you leave the technical investigation with those competent to comment at the ATSB? "

Fair and correct comment. However if you're been around this particular segment of the industry you'd have noticed a distinct ground swell of opinion that is of the view that turbines are the way to go. Not much more expensive on a trip by trip basis but a heck of a lot safer and efficient. If this awful situation leads to a sea change... good.

I'd just like to go to work and operate an aircraft that isn't the same age as me. Not asking too much is it?