PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Didn't notify the CAA of illness - am I in trouble?
Old 15th Jun 2010, 12:55
iwishi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't notify the CAA of illness - am I in trouble?

This is a tricky one and it’s now beginning to really really worry me. I hope I can get some guidance and advice.

I lost two family members one day after the other last year and as a result I suffered from depression. I went on to a low dose of Citalopram for about 3 months and I got off it as soon as I could.

During this time I concentrated on my PPL exams rather than the flying – I didn’t tell anyone at the flying club as I didn’t want to be judged and labelled (people talk at airfields!) and I didn’t want it to affect my PPL.

I also didn’t notify the CAA – not deliberately I’d like to add – it simply didn’t cross my mind at the time – I figured the depression was just a “blip” and that it would be over soon which I now realise was stupid and that mistake is now coming back to haunt me. I had already been issued with my Class 2 medical the year before and I would shortly like to go for my Class 1.

Obviously I want to be honest and declare that I had depression and I was on medication but it’s just occurred to me that by going to the Class 1 medical it will quite likely have an effect on my existing Class 2 medical.

I was issued with my PPL about a month ago and have been off medication for 4 months – every thing is back to normal.

I want to come clean as I don’t want any secrets but I’m worried that if I do, the CAA will revoke my license or do something because I didn’t tell them during the time I was unwell.

I want to call the CAA and ask but it’s the same person who answers the phones (who also booked my Class 1!) and I would like to remain anonymous.

I realise this was a very silly mistake.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Some advice would be appreciated. I need to put my mind to rest and I need to know the best way to approach this.