PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spirit Airlines Pilots walk out
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2010, 09:51
AFOS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the cause is honour, you are flying for a HKG carrier for honour.
I am only attempting to put the otherside of the debate, no matter how unpaletable it may be.
As someone else wrote or implied, why did my colleagues not take some sort of industrial action against our Boss / Management when they would not upgrade the fleet from B737-200's.
The airline was privately owned, if the Boss does not want to spend money upgrading either the fleet or ops computer system, strike action would not have made any difference. Some of my colleagues like myself are still out of work due to the huge down turn in not only aviation but the world economic situation.
While Spirit, BA and anyone else think it is the right time to go on strike for "honourable" demands is questionable.
Here in England we as tax payers have had to suffer the indignity of having our Government polititians steal money from us, our senior financial experts both in Government and heads of our national banks all being accountable for the current financial situation, they are all paid off handsomely with bonuses, pensions etc, there is not a jot we can do about it.
Even now as we slowly come out of reccession, the current bankers are receiving remuneration packages, again we can do nothing about it.
Its in their contracts.
Up until 9/11 and the current financial problems we received an annual increment, usually inline with the current inflation figure. Sure it was tiny after we paid our taxes while other Management, Directors, share holders, etc got more than us, we were grateful, we still had a job
Now if your contract states you, as a pilot, are entitled to profit sharing, then I would back you all the way. If, as I suspect, your contract does not entitle you to profit sharing, then I don't back you.
Am also sure that if the terms and conditions that Spirit operate to is that bad then your FAA would surely step in. I suspect the FAA have not stepped in because Spirit have not or do not operate in a manner that contavenes safety.
We have and had a lot of airlines here in England, some are still here a lot have gone and the only one I know about which has a history of industrial action is the flag carrier which is currently £1Billion in debt and paying millions a day to other carriers to operate on their behalf.
What would your management say if your airline had an opportunity to operate as a sub-charter on behalf of BA, to earn your company huge amounts of money but instead go on strike?

There is a time to take action and this is not the time as we see here in England as a lot of BA staff cross the picket line as their individual financial concerns bite and bite hard. Am sure the BA management will recognise those that went on strike and those that showed loyalty when it comes round to the next annual increment payout when times are better.

Good luck to all, fly sure and fly safe.
AFOS