PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOAC Stratocruiser "Canopus"
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2010, 23:35
tonytech2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curtiss Props

I was well aware of Curtiss prop problems including those on Martin B26 (have a friend who was crew chief on them in 1941 no less) and the C46. However a lot of non-US outfits used Curtiss props on their L749 and L1049 Connies with little trouble. Seaboard and Western also used them on their L1049D and H Connies as did Trans Canada on their Gs. Admittedly, Seaboard did lose one at KJFK due to internal failure of the prop pitch change drive.

We converted one Air Force VC-118 (DC-6) from Ham Standards to Curtiss props for missions to Russia, Why this was done I do not know but allegedly because of cold. Since Russians used hydraulic props I don't think it was the real reason. Air Force certainly used them on many A/C including the VC-121A (the L-749 versions) SAMFLEET aircraft although the Presidential VC-121E Columbine had Ham Standards.
Re American Overseas B377. I had an uncle who was a PSM and I actually got on board one at LaGuardia where it had ferried over from Idlewild for maintenance. It was nosed into American's hangar. I didn't know one prop from another at the time but was hugely impressed by the sheer size compared to the Convairs and DC-6.

Last edited by tonytech2; 14th Jun 2010 at 23:46. Reason: adding additional info