PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 14th Jun 2010, 20:20
SlideBustle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meal Allowances

Eddy,

Just whilst we are on the subject of Meal Allowances..... I have respect for your postings as you do talk sense.

But can I just say I agree with what you say with regards to Meal Allowances and this is true if you are on Worldwide. However as a Eurofleet crew member, if we do there and backs you can get anything from light refreshment which is very light in your pocket right up until Dinner Allowances. Some EF crew do bid for there and backs for whatever reason and SOME of these there and backs can be bliddy hard work. Band 4s pay meal allowances plus the long day payment which will go to MTP. However, some there and backs are quite long duty days but only get the meal allowances. So we do need them, if you see what I am saying? And obviously we do need to negotiate protection for them. As the basic is very low! Particularly new contract! (I am on your side btw, and didn't strike, I think the union has lost the plot!)

Anyway I think I see what you are saying about HMRC tax issues etc and for that reason I will shut up - but I will say - for there and backs at least or doubles, there should be a ''pilot'' style hourly rate - for the above reasons.

But of course having said all of that, we do need our meal allowances, and on most routes if you are going to eat and drink downroute you will spend them!!!! I can see what you mean.