PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2010, 16:08
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BOAC
on an beacon approach the descent point is marked. Do you think it is a failure of translation and should be "final descent clearance provided by approach controller".?
Definitely not. The configuration is beacon-locator + radar, vakakaaa describes in detail. Check the Perm plate I posted (I hope it displays correctly), the only way to fly it with ADF equipped aircraft - there's no DME installed anyhow - is to leave intermediate apch altitude when instructed by radar controller and work V/S against timing. It is not a NPA without FAF based on turn/timing. It is a radar/NDB approach.

While this technolgy is getting even more obsolete as we speak through commisioning of VOR/DMEs and GNSS procedures, I wanted to demonstrate that under classic steam gauge + blip screen system the precision controller is integral part of the final descent to land and hence why the Smolensk ATC role is being reintroduced to the debate over and over again.

BTW, there's no cleared for approach 2:30 flight time east of my base; you will be advised of your position against the final apch trajectory and instructed to continue.

Yours,
FD (the un-real)