PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sydney Airport 1950's
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2010, 11:33
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Am sure us older drivers can tell a few stories but few like 'lamax' Thanks very enjoyable reading

As many others threads have degenerated into almost nasty comments between the Gen 'Y" pilots & the mature drivers floating around here it saddens me to some degree that the gen 'Y" pilots won't ever have such stories to tell as lamax has portrayed here after they have completed a life's time of aviation, we can only wonder for them what life will be like flying in 40 yrs or so time. But as they say..........that's another story!

I can recall as a child living across the Valley of EN Airport I/we kids used to ride to the airport leave our pushies with the car park gate man & wander off into the GA area & poke around the old Canberra bombers that where stored up the Nthern end of the Drome as well as watch the old Bristal Freighters leak oil right there in front of our eyes:-) The poor re-fullers having to climb up atop the high winged plane & fuel in all sorts of weather:-) The old PBY in latter years that was more like a flying spiders web of wires based at EN:-) I believe that had it ever landed on water that would be where it would stay, beneath the waves:-) We would wonder out to the end of the Covered fingers ways & watch planes come & go. I still watch planes come & go from the same airport but the ghosts of many characters along with their unique stories (such as Keith Hants, one of the nicest guys you would ever meet) have long gone
We each have our own story/s to tell am sure,would make for some teary reading if they could ever be told such as lamax has shown here

Wmk2