PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2010, 10:26
ARRAKIS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
..and the reason for it is ? (Forgive me for not remembering your explanation)
One of the reason is for sure equipment measurement inaccuracy.
That time shift is quite obvious. Why? I explained it earlier.

My 0,02$ regarding
http://www.mak.ru/russian/info/news/...m_101_pic1.jpg

As was proven by Sergiei Amielin from Smolensk forum, that terrain profile is wrong. On the profile above, 1200 m from the rwy the terrain is descending to around 190 m, which is contrary to GE, Siergiei's own measurements and Russian military topographic maps. The lowest point of the valley on the flypath is around 200 m, approx. 1700 m from the rwy. End of story.

In my opinion, the scale on the left is wrong. It should be every 10 m and not 20 m. If you switch it, MAK's profile comes close to GE, etc.. excepted the 1200 m point.
There is something else.
1100 m from the rwy on the original profile the terrain is slightly above 220 m mark. This is where the plane hit the first tree, 10.8 m from the ground and flying 15 m below the rwy elevation (according to preliminary report). That doesn't match. Obvious error.

Now, 258 m (rwy elevation from MAK's profile) -10 m - 15 m gives 233 m (on the profile)...
but
rwy edge elevation is 258 m according to MAK's profile and 253 m according to GE/Sergiei's measurements.
1100 m from the rwy the terrain is around 243 m (on MAK's profile, after switching the scale) or 237/238 m according to GE/Sergiei's measurements. In every case there is a 15 m difference between the runway and the terrain (1100 m mark).
I think the terrain 1100 m from the rwy edge lies 15 m below the rwy, which means 101 was flying approx. 5 m below rwy and not 15 m when it hit the first tree.

Arrakis