PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76 down in the North Sea (Threads merged)
Old 27th Jul 2002, 05:26
SASless

Received 558 Likes on 227 Posts
I guess the supposition about the connection of a lightning strike and the subsequent blade failure (even if no connection is found)begs the question of just what kind of inspection is done? Is the Titanium spar exposed for its complete length....or just a small area around the actual point of strike? Also, would it not be considered prudent for an operator to scrap the blade subsequent to the blade being struck by lightning? I know in general experience, lots of damage can occur to metallic components that are not adequately bonded and thus allow arcing between adjacent metallic surfaces with different polarity or with poor bonding. Having seen a few lightning strikes to electrical circuits and metallic structures, the amount of damage is quite impressive, thus the thought of flying around with a set of rotor blades that had experienced a lightning strike more than feels me with concern. Just how far will an operator go to keep a part in service until its mandatory retirement life? I wonder if economic concerns might have influenced the decision to retain that particular blade in service rather than accept a financial loss and write off the blade? Are the other blades that have experienced lightning strikes now going to be retested or will the operators concerned merely remove them from service and scrap them as a good operating practice?