PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alteon 737 Simulator Brisbane
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2010, 06:49
The Bunglerat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
saabsforever, when I did the VB interview sim at least three years ago now, it was in the QF B737-400 sim in Melbourne - in full-flight mode, not fixed base.

I'll say it again (having tried the Flight Experience sim also): Given the context of the exercise, I personally don't think a session in the Flight Experience sim is going to give the candidate what he or she needs to be fully prepared for the actual VB evaluation. It's a 3rd party product, using a mish-mash of software and parts all cobbled together to approximate a 737NG cockpit. Whilst the effort is commendable, it's not even slightly close to the real deal when it comes to the flight handling and aerodynamic model. Yes, all the switches and dials may be in the correct place, but the point of the exercise is not about how well the candidate knows where those switches and dials are located (or their functions), it's about aircraft handling and instrument scan. If improving your scan alone is what you're after, you don't even need to use the Flight Experience product, as any home PC flight sim will provide you with a bunch of dials to stare at. If, however, you want to get a sneak preview of how a real 737 feels to fly (inertia, momentum, thrust lever response, roll rate, etc), a properly certified sim - full flight or fixed base - is still a better proposition. Even a clapped-out old 737 "Classic" (like the Ansett one in Melbourne) is a better option than the aforementioned one.

I should mention I am a fan of MS Flight Sim, and have the PMDG B737-800 add-on at home. It's a great tool in preparing for my six-monthly sim, but let's not pretend for a moment that it feels anything like the real aeroplane. Resources like these are great for keeping your procedural knowledge and general scan up to speed, but not for sharpening any skills when it comes to stick-&-rudder.