PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are airshows getting tamer?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2010, 05:47
Ridge Runner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those with a number of years under their belts will remember some great shows with great performances. Sometimes these weren't approved either. Does anyone remember the close to supersonic pass of the Viking's F-104 at Fairford?

I recall BoB shows at Biggin Hill in the 1960s and 70s. I have lots of grainy B&W shots of performing aircraft overhead, something unheard of now unless you are in a part of the world that still draws a correct balance between entertainment and H&S. However, in the "olden days" there were also boring performances too. The Yanks, for example, never did anything more than a single pass down the runway - dead dull! A flypast by F-100s or a KB-50 might be great in terms of subject matter but it was boring in terms of entertainment.

I was refreshed this year by my first visit to the La Ferte Alais show which was simply wonderful! The Duxford shows were referred too earlier but LFA knocks them in to a cocked hat for sure. There was even one "overhead" item (not-intentional I guess)!

RR