PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 13th Jun 2010, 22:30
Eddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOTS of talk over the past couple of pages about meal allowances being lost as work goes to New Fleet, but let's remember (and christ, we have to be bloody careful here) that meal allowances are intended to be spent down route.

They are NOT meant to be brought home.

So we had best leave meal allowances well out of any (public) discussion about our renumeration package, lest HMRC take another look at our money and try to take more from us.

As someone who tends to spend the majority of his meal allowances while down route (I didn't take this job to sit in my hotel room eating pot noodles), I've already taken a hit because of the obsession of some crew for taking meal allowances home as untaxed income.

Let's not make things even worse.

On a slightly different subject.... I'm in the middle of a Back 2 Back right now and on my crew is one particularly pro-strike lady. She's very pleasant and seems to be respectful of my choice to work.

Following one nasty look from her (perhaps not deliberate) I made an effort to initiate converation about the situation and I explained my reasons for working and listened carefully as she explained hers for not.

We both seem to have a mutual respect for one another's choices here : let's hope the rest of our colleagues, on both sides, can be as mature.

- I'm also wearing my "I'm Backing BA" lanyard but it seems to have gone largely unnoticed.

Last edited by Eddy; 13th Jun 2010 at 22:45.