PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Payday at Arik Air
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2010, 21:42
badoga_dee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anonymous (but effective) shaming is possible.

I note your reference to the Bad Oga site and as one of the moderators I can tell you that the list of 'one' looks set to grow very soon. Actually, the site is very new, recently revamped from a humble start by David Winter who started the ball rolling and who stuck to his guns and got a (final) payment of wages nearly a year late. David's story would make interesting reading (I keep urging him to write a biography!).

The list should have 12 companies on it from our correspondence so far, but the avoidance of defamation charges is key to our reluctance to publish. It has to be done correctly with supporting evidence. David is most unusual in that he has the most complete and comprehensive bank of correspondence about his dispute that I have ever seen. Also his 'fear' factor is very low. Brave? foolish? he has equal measures of both traits!

In fact, that's what I really wanted to comment on in this post. That 'fear' is a what is keeping people from coming forward, there is no doubt. Certainly for people working in Nigeria. Natives and expatriates alike. Acts of retribution are always possible, even likely, when shaking a cage there, but a hundred times greater if you are in country.

The badoga site has a clever way of exposing Bad Ogas, allowing the namer/shamer to stay anonymous. I don't know if it is appropriate to explain why in this forum, but for any potential users of the site, I could make a further post to explain, please ask. But in the meantime, feel free to visit badoga and leave a message with email contact address.