PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Awareness
Thread: Awareness
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2010, 21:15
Future Hunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could the SWO's gang arrange a work party to pick up thrown toys, please...

OK Gashman, calm down!

1. I didn't say the RAF are doing it - but if you claim to know so much you've probably heard about the various incidences that have occurred that may justify another crew member (such as the guy who was doing some emergency drill and ended up about 20 miles downwind!)

2. My understanding is the aircraft is not in Afghanistan because there is a software interface issue with the Paveway system and the aircraft and does not have a RTS for ground attack. It is doing it's bit in the UK and the Falklands, usually more than they're given credit for.

3. I really don't know where that came from! But there's a reason why the Phantom and Tornado ADV had a Nav in the back. And I know it sounds simplistic - but all aircraft run out of flying hours. Even the single seat aircraft. I know. I'm sorry.
Is it your bedtime yet?

Leon - I agree that the kit on the MRA4 *AT THE MOMENT* is less than ideal and at 1996/7 spec - but once in service, is likely to be upgraded. The aircraft is incredibly capable - but unfortunately people can't see past a flaw on the COMET that led to a fatal accident.
With AAR and room for a slip crew, the aircraft could easily do up to 24 hours on task!
So how does the 2 seat Typhoon OCU manage to do all that training with so little fuel