PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Awareness
Thread: Awareness
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2010, 20:21
The B Word

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree again.

Typhoon is expensive, but we have a company at Warton and 2 successive Governments to thank for that. We could buy off of the shelf to save money - almost 3 for the price of 2 on most options. Multi-role is definately the way ahead, and that also added extra expense to Typhoon.

But I do think that the "mincing" and "Airshow" comments are a little harsh (unless they're just banter?!). You can't take away their accomplishment, getting to fly FJs is a long a difficult process (3-4yrs from start to award of Combat Ready). Plus, just because the platform is not particularly relevant in Afg at present (considering Gen Stanley McChrsytal's directive of proportionality and low collateral), then it is hardly their fault that they are not deployed.

BTW, Typhoons are guarding the oil reserves 24/7 in the South Atlantic and around the Orkneys right now. I read an interesting short story the other day on AlQaeda attacking the West's oil reserves by flying aircraft into oil rigs - all a bit alarmist and Tom Clancy, but then again, who knows???

The B Word