PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thor missile photos 1963.
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2010, 18:10
manxterberg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thor missile photos 1963.

As I am new to the forum I'm not sure how many on here would be interested in Thor missiles.Anyway I was posted to RAF Feltwell in May 1960 after Bridgnorth and Kirton Lindsey.I was a Supplier and worked in the Supply and Movement Squadron.In 1963 the Thor bases - Feltwell,Hemswell,Driffield and North Luffenham plus their associated four satellites were being disbanded and I was seconded to a USAF Sergeant called Ernie Bish (rows of medals and stripes).Our job was to prepare all the documentation for shipment of equipment back to the States and I went all over the place with him - the bases mentioned above plus Lakenheath and Mildenhall.I even got to fly in a C-124 from Mildenhall to North Luffenham and back,the first time I had ever flown.I asked him if there was any chance of some photos "Leave it with me" he said.
These are the result and I think they were taken at either Hemswell or Scampton - Scampton was originally the airhead for the C-124s and C-133s coming in from the USA with the missiles but I always thought Hemswell was used when they were shipped out.

He told me that the only people who were a bit "iffy" about taking pictures were the Douglas Aircraft Corp personell.DAC were the main contractor.The 60 missiles were shipped back to Vandenburg AFB Cal. for launching satellites etc.The warheads were shipped seperately from either Lakenheath or Mildenhall.