PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eagle Airways "trooper" UK-Singapore 1961
Old 13th Jun 2010, 17:37
manxterberg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,I am new to the forum and was interested in the UK-Singapore trooping flights chat.I kept a (now moth-eared) account of our outbound flight from Stansted in Feb 1964.I don't know the aircraft serial number but it was a BUA Britannia and the A/C captain was called Bartlett.
We left Stansted at 2240 14 Feb and arrived Istanbul 0545 local time.
Dep Istanbul 0700 LT and arrived Bombay 1955 LT.
Dep Bombay 2110 LT and arrived Payar Lebar 0630 LT (with wife looking for snakes swimming in puddles) Scrawled on the back of a postcard is 2590 miles at 365 mph at 19500 ft,so I presume that's the mileage Bombay-Singapore.
After a great two and half years at RAF Changi we returned to UK/Heathrow on a British Eagle Britannia from Payar Lebar via Colombo,Kuwait and Istanbul,August 1966.
Here's a few photos.

Our British Eagle Britannia at Payar Lebar.

Taken at Kuwait.I was taking a photo but the locals weren't happy and an RAF Flt Lt who was the OIC the flight moved my camera away hence half a Britannia.Perhaps the A/C can be identified by it's name - "Team Spirit".I seem to recall that we could not take off until it cooled down a bit,not enough lift.The aircraft was packed.

These are copies of postcards I bought which may be of interest.

BUA Britannia.

Yesilkoy Airport,Istanbul

Santa Cruz Airport,Bombay.

New Operations Block at Payar Lebar.

British Eagle Britannia G-AOVE

And a couple of tarrifs

British United.

British Eagle.

I also have a BUA map which is too large to scan.I have recorded the temps at each airport. Stansted 42f,Istanbul 32f,Bombay 82f and Payar Lebar 80f.