PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pt. Cook Fatal Accident ~1990
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2010, 17:20
YoDawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Centuarus... thankyou, that was an interesting and extremely well-written post. Streets ahead of the usual standard here at PPRUNE.

I had the turnback demonstrated to me at 1FTS but was not allowed to perform it myself. From a safe vantage point here on the ground, performing a turnback from 300ft in a Tigermoth is a frightening concept.

Your post is an illustration of many of the positive and not-so-positive aspects of FTS and CFS competencies and initiatives. The B707 accident (which killed two of my contemporaries) is another case in point.

I did not previously know ANY details of the accident which killed GPCAPT Birks. As stated in post 1, after reading an interesting account of air-warfare, my intent was merely to enquire into the nature of the accident which claimed the life of a war-veteran pilot.

Thankyou for all of the replies which have provided accurate information.

Dostum, thanks for that.

Ozbiggles, please calm down; it is not my intention to contact anyone or, indeed, to re-open any can of worms.

Ozbiggles, if you're confused, then re-read the initial post. Having spent time in the RAAF, I was interested to know the details including the stud's name in case it was someone with whom I had crossed paths over the years since.

Please do not try to make it into any more of a drama than that.