PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands Oil .......
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2010, 15:16
Plain Torque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question When will more pilots be required down in the Falklands?

Cue wind and rolling tumble weed!

Someone must have something to say on the potential of these developments or am I just getting ahead of myself? I can't help but feel that this could have a massive effect on our lives and our industry! Surely helicopter companies must be doing feasibility studies and preparing bids for servicing the platforms? Is it secret or will it take a few more years for things to start moving? They have quoted with the recent find that it is commercially viable at $50 a barrel, which means it is viable now!

Would it be fair to say that it could go 1 of 2 ways:

A) They cap the exploration drilling and leave it for 5-10 years, knowing where the oil is for the future. They have invested a lot already so would they really think about doing this?

or

B) They start extracting the oil from the recent find as soon as they can. If this happens and then it snowballs, to the point of the above prediction that there is as much oil down there as there is in the North Sea, then they will need a lot of pilots. It could mean that 10 years from now, 50% of the pilots from Europe that are reading this post will at some time in their career do a stint down in the Falklands!

Anyone else see other possible outcomes, and likely time frames? (Ignoring Argentina's influence at this stage!)

PT