PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CATlll "Fail Passive" approach
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2010, 09:29
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
411:
Of course, all this one channel failed business with triplex autoland systems was solved long ago, with a dual/dual fail operational autoflight system, developed by Collins Radio, and fitted to one quite noteworthy widebody jet transport aircraft.
TriStar....dual/dual from the beginning, forty years ago, this year.
Often admired, seldom imitated.
I would agree. I flew the L-1011 as a F/O when it was in service about two years. Then, back to the 727 as captain. Several years later I was an early check-out on the 767-200. Flew it for a couple of years, then back to the L-1011 as captain. I did a lot of auto-lands in both types. And, several minimum RVR landings in the L-1011.

They were both very, very good at fail-active operations and auto-landing. But, my subjective view is that although the L-1011 did not have a guidance/redundancy edge over the 767, it did have a bit more aerodynamic stability because of the direct lift control (DLC).

I understand that Lockeed when to Collins/Lear and say, "Tell us what you want in wing configuration and flight control systems to assure we qualify for fail-active CAT III (Alert Height). Collins/Lear indeed got involved and had a lot to do with DLC being added to the design, as well as the configuration of the wing.