PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76 down in the North Sea (Threads merged)
Old 26th Jul 2002, 22:31
Red Wine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I understand the visual impact on passengers....also that this highly unique S76 accident was "unsurvivable'....AABI words.

But....Offshore crews do undertake HUET, wear Cold Water suits, wear lifejackets, have a beacon in their pocket, CVR, FDR, IHUMS, and so on and so on.........but the most basic of personal protection..........nope, it's to hard.....but to hard for all the wrong reasons.

Visors protect against birds.......Helmets provide a better Db noise reduction [important if you are having a busy week].......and your prime communication system will be there when you need it.........

Not to mention the better protection for yourself.....number "One".

Remember if you survive the initial or subsequent "Incident'.... then the rest on board have a far better chance as well......

I am as guilty as the rest....if I am rostered to an Onshore Base or task......sure my helmet is part of my basic kit and would'nt leave home without it.. [and passengers don't blink an eye]

But if the boss rosters me over water...."Old Faithful" stays in the cupboard.

Makes good sense.......Yuh!!