PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New (2010) Stall Recovery's @ high altitudes
Old 12th Jun 2010, 18:52
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These idea's about stall recovery in FAA turboprop pilots is quite common in my limited experence.

They will try and power out of it.

We had a flight upset on approach due to vortex wake from a 757 at Vmo and the rection of the FAA trained FO was to try and use full rudder to lift the wing. Thankfully the yaw damper was in so after the grunts and bulging thigh were spotted, I got it off him before he bent the airframe. But he was upset that I used Ailerons to correct roll.

On discussing other bits of his training it transpired this power out of clean stall with firewall power is the way they teach it. On questioning about if the procedure was the same for single engine work, it apparently was. The concept of Vmca apparently only apply's for engine failures on takeoff.

This was from an Emery Riddle grad who is quite a good operator on normal sectors. And he has apparently done advance flight upset sim courses in the sims in DC. But when you start digging deeper into some of the emergency handling stuff it is a bit different to what we get taught in the UK.

So if your a JAR pilot its well worth discussing these things if you head out of europe to lands of license converstions.