PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Pilot texting during landing
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2010, 14:02
Metro man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very possible for the phone to be receiving text as it comes into range and the stored messages get picked up or "Welcome to..." if flying internationally.

As the pilots are still flying and not under suspension it doesn't sound too serious.

At my airline the landing checklist is normally completed at 1500' agl, anything out of order will show up in blue on the ECAM and should be noticed as part of the checklist. A320 will give a gear warning at 750ft with power back or 750ft with flaps 3 or full regardless of power. If the warning had been received at this stage and the gear then was lowered, there wouldn't have been much time for the cycle to complete and to finish or redo the checklist. I've seen that before.

A go around is almost always the safer option, even in the simulator the instructors don't want you to push on with a bad position just to see if you can get away with it. If you don't meet the requirements for a stabilized approach and have the necessary minima, you throw it away.

Obviously wait for the full report but that's my 2 cents worth.