PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 how to save this landing
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2010, 13:31
ceightoz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool G/S mini and A/THR

Hello guys.

I found this thread today so I must be a little bit late to cut in but I can’t resist. Because it is quite interesting subject and As an newbie in airbus operation( I just have been in Beoing for more than decade before moved into airbus) I also feel little bit strange and twisted feeling to adopt in Airbus system.

First of all, I totally agree that manual flight with manual thrust is better choice than lagging A/THR chasing behind IAS which make more turmoil on gusty wind.

But I’m confusing that I found some strange comment in Training manual. I have genuine Airbus Training manual (REF No. U0T25TI ). And it says “Use of A/THR is recommended during the entire flight” in section 01.030, APR 11/07,page 11of 17. It doesn’t make any difference in my company’s TRM.

I also know that each company can establish its own policy for A/P, A/T usage. But why Airbus does say “Use of A/THR is recommended during the entire flight” in thierTRM?

Since I don’t know Capt. Indigo’s situation, I can’t insist use manual thrust. It can be more serious problem if his company wants to blame someone, instead of finding cause for high G landing. You guys know what I mean.

I also got confusing on G/S mini protection. The reason for G/S mini in Airbus defined by “Keeping certain amount of energy during approach” but…what the hell is that mean? Does airplane fly on aerodynamics regardless of G/S?
When I was flying Boeing, I always keep IAS between Vref to Vref + 15kts( depending on report tower wind).

What if…Hmm…A/TRH keep G/S mini in tailwind situation? The power should be keep minimum to maintain Vls (it must be same around G/S mini). On reverse, in head wind situation the power should increase to keep G/S mini (because headwind will slow A/C G/S without increasing power and IAS .)

What about Capt. Indigo’s case?

He told us that He got steady tailwind ( Can I assume that he just got tailwind not gusty wind?) until 50ft then sudden loss of tailwind. If we apply theoretically…..power should be increase until he cut the thrust lever to idle( nose goes up for flare and G/S decrease against head wind)

I’m not sure but can it be better? ..in… a little bit late retraction to idle power can help high G ROD?

Anyway Theory is not always a perfect answer for real life.

Please give me some light if anybody can explain G/S mini and A/THR power management on landing.
I like to try manual thrust with manual landing. But I’m afraid because Airbus A/THR reaction is much behind of Beoing A/Throttle, and the length of A/THR movement is much shorter than Beoing, It must be not easy maintain precise target speed in gusty wind.
So here is my expression of respect to airbus expert on manual thrust. Please share the secret.

Happy flight and happy landings to you guys.