PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: REX Recruitment/Cadetship and Working for REX
Old 12th Jun 2010, 09:51
KRUSTY 34

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm assuming you're adressing me Possible_Cadet (there's imagination for you).

How do you intend gaining the additional 30 hours command for the eventual isssue of your ATPL?

How do you intend gaining a total of 500 hours Multi-Command after the allocation of the max 150 hours ICUS that might be legally logged from the RHS under ICAO annex1? Maybe REX will throw you into the LHS with a Training Captain, Maybe not!

Speaking of ATPL Quals, where did you get the 4 year time frame from, REX HR? Grain of salt on that one my friend. Mind you, ATPL Quals are one thing, Sitting in the LHS as a Qualified Captain is something else. You will need at least 2000 hours total aeronautical experience (but of course you already know that), and amongst other things, the right seniority.

I have no doubt that one day we will see ex REX Cadets as Captains, and IMHO they will be every bit as good, or bad as those who have gone before them. But here's food for thought, by the time you're checked to line as a REX F/O (assuming that's were you're heading), there will probably be 100 ex Cadet F/O's in front of you. The first of these will not be ready for command for another 4 years, assuming of course REX can resolve their regulatory hurdles. In the meantime more junior Direct entry F/O's will continue to "leapfrog" these F/O's for Command. This will most certainly push back their time to Command substantially. Just a few years ago the major airlines took but a handfull of pilots annually. The time to command at most regionals was approx 6 years (no leapfrogging). Things will settle down at the major airlines, and the mass resignations that REX has seen in the past may slow substantially, at least untill the next time, and that may be years! My honest estimate, even if REX sort out the regulatory maze, it will be at least 10 years to command for a Cadet starting now!

If you, like many others a few years ago jumped into this game because of the feeding frenzy 2 years ago, then I'm afraid you have already missed the boat. Something that many unemployed CPLs are now coming to grips with.

You see Possible_Cadet, this thing has more legs than a spider. By all means give it a go, but don't be too quick to dismiss the experience (not necessarily aeronautical) of those who have seen a little of what this game can sometimes dish up. They're facts as well.