PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Odiham's Flt Lt Ian Fortune on the Beeb
Old 12th Jun 2010, 08:30
helidriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A sober response

BS,

Keith and Josh unfortunately didn't make the summit, however were only about about 100m from doing so, due to oxygen equipment malfunctions. So, very well done to them regardless.

GJ,

I made my point, you made yours! Ungracious? At the last Odiham Christmas Ball I sought out those who came in many times to pick-up my dead, dying and wounded soldiers to offer my personal thanks. Were you there? Feel free to PM me if you wish to make more personal assumptions and I'll reply to you personally.

All,

The heroism of the Chinook fleet and the MERT is without question. I have witnessed some extraordinary acts by some extraordinary people and am proud to say some are even close friends of mine.

I am an Army Pilot and volunteered to do a couple of years with an infantry based unit. I have flown on many ops as well as my recent ground tour, although now back to flying and I appreciate the stresses of both. I can honestly say that the first and last 5 minutes of every Chinook flight in Afghanistan was worrisome to say the least. The same can be said of patrolling on foot around Sangin. There is a mutual respect of those duties which require some to put themselves into harms way for the sake of others. The ground call-signs, without exception, rely very heavily on the Chinook fleet to perform, which they do day-in and day-out. In fact, if the Chinook fleet were not in theatre then the FOBs would not exist. The fleet is more than a force multiplier, it is an essential strategic requirement and it's crews are truly valued by those they serve.

Whilst Ian's Situation was extraordinary I don't think the media has done him many favours. The re-enactment was cheesy and led my earlier stated posts. Since that article, all the pilots I spoke to felt the same way and it appears a couple of brave souls felt the same on this forum.

My comments were NOT to cast negative aspersions on the Chinook fleet but to highlight a poor piece of media which suggested that Ian had a 'very near-miss' and would be decorated for it. I am truly happy that this event has had a happy ending when so many don't and hopefully Ian will be recognised for his Afghanistan tour in it's entirety.

h

Last edited by helidriver; 12th Jun 2010 at 10:11. Reason: added an apostrophe!