PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Converting FAA/Canadian to Australian?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2010, 05:39
lelebebbel

Location: I am not sure where we are, but at least it is getting dark
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
While it can be as bad as people here say it is, it doesn't have to.

1) Start by applying for an ARN. Don't have to be in the country to do this.

2) Get the class 1 medical done asap. It involves a long-ish session at an eye doctor and a blood test and takes a few weeks to process. There are a few locations overseas who can do it, otherwise book it as soon as you are here.

3) As soon as you are in the country, apply for an ASIC card. The application has 16 pages and requires a few signatures from other people - it helps to be at a flying school to do this.
This will take 4-6 weeks to process, and you may want to call to chase it up, because applications sometimes seem to vanish, or get sent back 6 weeks later because some box wasn't ticked.

4) AFT has an excellent reputation and there courses certainly are good, however with your prior experience you may not need to complete the full air law course to pass the exam, as the rules are largely based on the FAA system.

My suggestion would be to get your hands on a full set of publications (you need the stuff that AFT sells for $600. Either buy or borrow them), spending a few days with them, and then attempting some AFT online practice exams, which are like $10 each. The exam is open book, and you want to have the whole set in front of you. The trick is to get used to using the books and looking up every answer.
If you consistently get mid to high 90s, sit the real exam. Exam centers are in every major city - www.aslexam.com

5) Once you have the medical and passed the exam, take the flight test. Your licence will be mailed to you as soon as all the ASIC background checking is done.

Someone at the flight school, or the ATO who does your flight test should be able to certify your english proficiency.

All relevant forms, as well as a list of DAMEs (overseas and in Australia) can be found on the casa website Civil Aviation Safety Authority - Home

Finding a job - it's all word of mouth and knowing people. The senior pilots at your flight school will be the biggest help. I can PM you a few contacts for flying schools, with the disclaimer that I work for one of them.

Last edited by lelebebbel; 12th Jun 2010 at 06:17.