PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Odiham's Flt Lt Ian Fortune on the Beeb
Old 12th Jun 2010, 04:17
Gentleman Jim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helidriver

OK, I'll bite,

If Ian performed continiously throughout his tour tour before and after this incident then fair play! As for sour grapes, I already have the recognition for my my tour thankyou! This is not about sour grapes, and I sincerely offer my wishes to Ian, however, if he is honoured for this incident then then there are many others who should be also. My platoon Sgt in Afghanistan had a round stuck in his helmet after a contact, however his MC was awarded for many other other acts after this incident.

My isssue is not with the SH fleet, it's pilots or groundcrew. It's with with a system that suggests that if aircrew is shot at then they derserve "the highest gallantry award".

Many individuals who comment on here do so without practical experience. If you haven't served there, and I mean in a FOB within Helmand on the ground, then back off!

Ian, well done on your luck, you had a great team behind you.
I find your reply somewhat amusing, so you have been recognised, well, well done you.

So now you think that other military people on here without having been in a 'FOB in Helmand on the ground' are unable to determine if they believe an act constitutes being brave, gallant or not! You are getting a little carried away with yourself aren't you?

It's with with a system that suggests that if aircrew is shot at then they derserve "the highest gallantry award"
No it is not if aircrew are shot, it is how they conduct themselves when they have been shot. I don't think you find many VC winners who were awarded the medal for doing a good job throughout their tour (as seems to be your requirements above), they were awarded for instances of exceptional bravery above and beyond the call of duty, similar with many other awards. There are many many squaddies who would not be in possession of such bravery awards if your criteria were applied, including Beharry. There are specific awards available and appropriate if you do a good job during your tour, the bravery awards are for just that, bravery in the face of battle.

I didn't see anybody label it as sour grapes but you are certainly ungracious . In your first sentence above you say, 'If Ian performed continiously throughout his tour tour before and after this incident then fair play', well to be honest how do you know he didn't? You leap in straight at a conclusion that you cannot possibly arrive at without having accompanied him throughout his tour. Whats up with you? Do you want less awards given out so that yours looks better at dining in nights

Gentleman Jim

To the Wokka mates.
As a complete aside, what a pedigree BN has. 30 years of service and still does not falter when she is needed. I bet even all the other wokkas whisper of her, bit of a legend in the fleet really.

Last edited by Gentleman Jim; 12th Jun 2010 at 05:16.