PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A difficult career decision - advice appreciated!
Old 11th Jun 2010, 19:04
DeskPilot71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys,

Thanks for all the really constructive and supportive responses.

I can totally see what people are saying here and indeed I agree that the opportunity (if it comes to fruition) is a really good one.

I think my dilemma is one that many commercial pilots go through, especially if you haven't been in the game for a while (thru no fault of your own) I haven't got TP or Jet time (as mentioned) but I have a fair amount of air taxi experience. Its small fry compared to jet drivers etc who have nigh on 1000's of hours and can't get hired, but I still have this blind optimism that some time at some point things will start moving and more opportunity will arise.

In the mean time I suffer the same syndrome as many others - staying current enough to get hired is quite frankly a pain. Consuming your weekends and evenings (considering the great British wx and the narrow windows we have to get some flying in) and the ongoing cost.

I have an interview next week so will know more then. Guess thats when I will make the call. My instinct tells me that I will likely be more successful (financially) outside of aviation although I have to admit even now thats not necessarily where my heart is.

Thanks once again and I hope this acts as a source of useful information / opinion for other guys in my position.