PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2010, 14:52
Alice025

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't forget how in Perestroyka was hired as an interpretor/guide for an American airline crew. Who were starting charter flights into Russia. In one day from museum guide I was "converted" into ground agent :o)
The Captain said Hermitage it's fine but Alice let's better go to the airport; do you think we can have a tour arranged?
"We" :o) spoke with all, in both Pulkovo and Sheremetevo. Visited meteo offices and enquired about weather maps, how often and where from. The Captain was awful interested in fuel (I regretted I didn't take chemical dictionary with :o) He wanted to go to Nairobi from St. Petersburg. All was pre-booked, but, to be sure, the captains (as I worked for them for a while, from the first flight on) wanted to see all for themselves themselves. And not for nothing :o) can't forget how we were all in choir re-calculating gallons into litres and translating weather maps.

For ex. he booked water. We waited for it 3 hrs. The crew began wondering ab water shortages in St. Petersburg :o)
Then water arrived. In beautiful metal thermoses, Pulkovo chaps explained "we heard Americans have their stomacks in dis-array-s from foreign water, so we boiled it all, then cooled down, and packed into thermoses. Sign here for delivery." And they wanted lots of water, by a pipe, from a cictern, into the plane's belly!

There is no limit of mis-understandings even when both sides are full of best intentions.
First flight Mosow-St. Petersburg the American crew asked me to fly with them. They were fine people, and fine plane, and I agreed. "Just in case. We know control speaks English. But just in case."
They didn't need me as it was proved, but in approach asked me - jokingly - to glance out of the window and tell if I recognise the native aerodrome. I replied in the affirmative - there is my house, yes, it's our airport, that one is Int'l, that one is Domestic, see they are connected you can taxi, here is East here is West etc. All were laughing but all were looking at me very attentively :o)