PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates package
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2002, 17:33
druckmefunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My advice would be bring everything you own, and make the decision about what you need when you get here. You will have little trouble selling it here if you find you don't need it. Bear in mind the company furniture is cr*p and it is exactly the same as your neighbours. It also a bare minimum. The villa you get will probably be fairly large, so it will look quite empty with only the company stuff in it. Everything you bring with you is one thing you don't have to spend money on when you get here. And believe me that is a big deal when you are trying to run a family here on an F/O's salary.
As for the other stuff, you can't do anything until you have your residence visa. That took a month for me, but may be quicker now. Computers are well priced here, but it helps if you know what you are looking at. As for the car, you can buy one as soon as you have a visa, but you will most likely get ripped off. Most new vehicles depreciate dramatically over the first few years, so you are probably better off buying 2nd hand. If you have the patience, wait until after you have finished transition when you will have more time, and have met enough people to steer you in the right direction.