PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Qantas Airbus On Indian Ocean Rescue Mission.
Old 11th Jun 2010, 12:58
Fubaar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The question no one has asked here is if you had a sixteen year old daughter, (including if your surname is Watson), whether you'd allow her to sail solo around the world.

Let's draw an aviation analogy. If some hypothetical mommy and daddy had the funds, they could give their 16 year old daughter two or three hours in a simulator where she could learn to just take off and set up the controls for an autoland. They could then place her at the controls of a long range jet full of fuel and little else and programme the FMC and set her off on a 'record breaking' round the world flight with only two autolands required.

My guess would be that if absolutely nothing went wrong, she'd probably get away with it (sleeping much of the time if she chose to while George the FMC did it all). However, most readers here would know how many things could go wrong in such a venture and would agree that those parents should be prevented from allowing their child to do such an incredibly dangerous thing.

Now I don't know a lot about around the world solo sailing, but (again) my guess would be that however well you planned it, as many of not more things had the potential for going wrong on such a trip than on my hypothetical two sector round the world flight - even if your name is Watson, where thankfully, nothing so serious that it was beyond the capabilities of a lone, very able sixteen year old to handle did go wrong.

Getting back to my first paragraph, how could you live with yourself if your sixteen year old daughter did meet her death on such a venture?