PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet A1 in a 100LL engine?
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2010, 12:07
JOE-FBS

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a long detailed item about the impending demise of 100LL and what can be done as alternatives in this month's AOPA UK magazine (we're all AOPA members here surely?). I don't have it with me but IIRC it's potentially less than ten years away that the US will ban it and some chap in Sweden makes a suitable subsitute but it doesn't get used outside Sweden becuase our free-market loving American cousins would stamp all over him if he tried. Of course, that may all be propaganda.

Oh, and with ten years reprocating engine design behind me, I echo the comments that putting gasoline in your compression ignition reciprocating engine or diesel (jet fuel) in your spark ignition reciprocating engine is a very bad idea indeed, whether it's an automotive or aviation application. I wouldn't think gasoline would do much good in your turbine engine either but I don't have the expertise to be sure.

Well said Adam. It's ridiculous that Cessna and Piper build new aeroplanes with electronic instrument panels, airbag seat-belts, etc. then fit the same 1950s technology engines.

Last edited by JOE-FBS; 11th Jun 2010 at 12:33.