PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2011 recruitment
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2010, 17:32
ToneTheWone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
REGRETS

I’ve often come across posts from wannabees containing phrases like "I don’t want to get to 70 and regret not having tried" or even "I don’t want to be old looking back thinking I never had a go, even if I don’t get a job at the end of training".

But does anybody ever consider they might look back in old age and regret getting involved. And I don’t just mean people who aren’t successful in landing a job, but people who make it to the airlines. Because take it from me, there are quite a few and I should know, because I’m one of them.

When I started out, I too thought it was going to be the dream job. And yes, I did enjoy much of it, both the flying, the challenge of getting there and the people I met. But once the novelty wore off it became just a job, often boring and it played havoc with your personal life and sleep patterns.

Following redundancy last year, and with 2,200 hours in my logbook, 800 turboprop and 500 hours jet, I wouldn’t go back to it even if you paid me. I do have some happy memories and stories that I could dine out on. But overall, I don’t think the sacrifice was worth a few good memories.

What I really want to say is, don’t worry about regretting not doing something, as justification for doing it. You’re much more likely to regret something you did in life, than all the things you didn’t.

I’d like to wish good luck to anybody starting out in this, or any other career, but be careful what you wish for