PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2002, 09:58
Reheat On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffhoon was patently reading the script in the House, and it is unlikely that this was *his* wording - his team have long had the 'never give in' strategy mapped out. This is simply one case that having acknowledged by inference that they can only lose, they are simply holding out until their hand is forced.

The statement was in most respects no surprise. We still need to ponder two aspects.

Who has the political clout to superimpose a change of decision upon the MoD. While the HoL are patently on the march on this matter, can they really, in their diminished form, be expected to take HMG on in this issue, given that they have an awful lot more to lose in terms of overall influence if HMG plays hard ball on the HoL reforms? I suspect it would not take a great number of meetings to warn off the HoL although Chalfont of course answers to no one and is highly versed in matters pertaining to Defence.

Secondly, if MoD are holding out, why? Who has most to lose, and what is the background agenda that is being held together with elastoplast which might fall apart through this can of political worms being opened up? Is it Chinook related - Boeing, US relations, etc? Are the yanks involved, and if so by what means? Is it Peace Process related?? Or is it simple old fashioned Staff Officer intransigence?

I still ponder who might have nailed Wratten and Day; I remain of the opinion that they were nobbled. This whole matter smells, and the longer it goes on, the more mysterious the smell becomes.

Whatever, the bell may have gone, but there are plenty of rounds left to fight. Keep it up, guys.