PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2010, 09:02
Diplome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...and the latest missive from BASSA

Day 21 comes to a close.
Jun 8th, 2010 by admin

You could sense a feeling of sadness beginning to descend on Bedfont today, almost like the last day before leaving school.

You could tell that people were beginning to be “nostalgic for the summer of Bedfont”; the spirit of friendship and kindness will be hard to leave behind.

Tomorrow is our last day of this particular dispute; we need to make it not only a good one, but also a big one.

Two significant press events today - the blatant hypocrisy and dual standards of the treatment of our cabin crew could not have been more apparent, when the Daily Mirror carried a report on page 18 entitled “Scabbin’ Crew”, where the much vaunted “volunteers” appeared to display not only an intense dislike of our customers - bordering on violence - but also of fellow crew and in particular, our gay community; perhaps they simply don’t have the necessary people skills required to be cabin crew after all. What is of as much concern is this pilot has been cleared to fly a 747. Not only would you not want this man to serve you in the cabin but would you trust him on a 747 cockpit? And, worryingly, it now appears there are others with similar views.

Click here to view the Daily Mirror article

The Daily Mail, Walsh’s poodle newspaper, instead preferred to carry its usual anti-cabin crew bombast. It’s fairly obvious to all that a solution needs to be found to this dispute - and soon. So to ensure that that isn’t made any harder than it already is, we won’t stoop to The Mail’s provocative, chest beating propaganda. Instead, we simply hope that a fair solution can be reached, for everybody’s sake.

A crew member striking for the first time today had gone to the trouble of printing her own t-shirt, with these poignant words on it:

“My proud sad day. The day has come to stand up tall, to be one with you.

To fight against the bully known as Willie Walsh.

I will not flounder, I will be strong.

My staff travel does not matter.

I will not hide upon the bus, as I know this is wrong.

Instead I stand with you, so all can see.

I am a XXXX striker and now at last I am proud.”

Says it all really - see you tomorrow at Bedfont? We hope so - it’s your last chance to show the strength of your feeling.