PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Citation Incident at Leeds
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2010, 23:32
Mad (Flt) Scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trim Stab
I think that the more pertinent lesson here is that perhaps Cessna should certify an FMS that calculates V1 taking into account TODA/ASDA so that even an inexperienced crew can take advantage of a non-limitative runway.

Landing straight ahead after Vr on an 18000ft runway will have to remain the prerogative of the experience of the Captain...
Agree 100% with the latter.

Disagree somewhat with the former. Almost by definition, the circumstances under which it is an appropriate decision to abort after V1, or after Vr even, are exceptional. Therefore, it is impossible to predict what the ACTUAL aircraft performance will be. So any calculation would be dubious. Ultimately, this is a question of airmanship.

For example, suppose you have a dragging brake, or a pair thereof. Only once they heat enough to generate smoke and flames is there any hint of problems, other than the accel (which is usually unmonitored, at least against a defined go/no-go, a topic for another thread I think).

By the time you get to the calculated V1 with dragging brakes your performance calcs are already shot to hell. Go? Nogo? Damned if I know. Certainly no chance of a default FMS calc telling you anything useful. You may already be too far down the runway to stop. You may already be too far down the runway to go successfully (never mind carrying a couple of brake fires into the air). You may, in fact, already be facing a choice between two very bad options, neither of which is in any way covered by type certification.