PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An aerodynamics question (for experts only)
Old 26th Jul 2002, 07:35
OzExpat

PPRuNeaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CPB ... I knew it was a mistake not to have a drawing, or series of them, to show how it all develops. But in any event, I suspect that we'll have to agree to differ on this subject, as I no longer have the time available to pursue it, due to an up-coming trip away.

However, just a thing to consider...

Changing thrust will not directly influence AOA. Granted, it may do indirectly by causing a pitching moment, but we are assuming a Piloted aircraft, i.e. the pilot controls that attitude of the aircraft.

The flight path has not yet changed, and the attitude is unchanged.
We started this idea with the premise, from Kermode, that if the pilot did nothing to the flight controls after increasing power (thrust), the aircraft would enter a climb. If it's a single engine, prop-driven aircraft, it'll yaw too tho we've agreed not to bother with that aspect for now.

Anyway, because the aeroplane has entered a climb, the flight path HAD changed.

But the Total Reaction is the addition of Lift and Drag. What you describe however is the addition of Lift and Thrust, and hence is not the 'Total Reaction'.
Okay, maybe the more correct terminology is the "Vertical Component of Lift", but that's just a word game anyway because the Total Reaction is the result of the acceleration that has led to the climb being initiated by simply increasing thust. At this point I am, of course, staying away from the principles associated with maintaning a climb.

But it does not show how the aircraft gets into the climb!
With respect, I thought that's precisely what I showed.

What is G? Answer = Load Factor (N)
I suspect that some care is necessary with this statement. "G" is actually acceleration, which can be positive or negative. It can also be zero, of course. To illustrate the point, in S+L flight, the Load Factor is 1 and G is zero. I agree that Load Factor will increase in any of the normal manoeuvres (I'm trying to stay away from the forces in the pull-out from a steep dive, of course, or abrupt levelling after a very steep climb), but the increase isn't especially noticeable in normal manoeuvres with the possible exception of a turn with a moderate to steep bank angle.

G will increase as well, any time that any form of acceleration (by the straight physics definition of it) is applied. But the increase is really quite miniscule in the initiation and maintenance of a climb, unless you're talking about jet fighters, space rockets, etc. This would seem to be out of the range of the topic as it was originally started.

Anyway, I would be very cautious about even mentioning such a complication as "G" in a climb.

...in mechanics terms it is not that deep - just a free body diagram and a few forces.
Makes me wonder how we managed to make it more complicated then, eh?

I'll come back to this thread whenever I can, but my rapidly aging copy of Kermode will be no closer to me than it is right now...