PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK - Multiple Instructions - Specific Order?
Old 8th Jun 2010, 18:56
IRRenewal

Beacon Outbound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Reason for asking is because we have an SOP that says that the pilot flying keeps a finger on the altitude selector, exclaims 'SET!' and waits for the pilot monitoring to say 'FL50 checked'. This can cause a delay in executing the second instruction (if the climb/descend instruction came first) which can lead to errors.

We recently changed to this SOP from one which was slightly less involved, and I personally have a feeling I have been using more 'say agains' since, but cannot quantify that. If I am pilot monitoring I want the pilot flying to respond to the ATC instruction, not my read back (or worse, recollection) of the instruction. If they get engrossed in this new SOP we have and forget to change the heading, I don't just tell them the new heading (or what I think you told me the new heading was) but will ask you to 'say again heading'.

The new SOP is to reduce level busts, but how much extra R/T loading we are willing to accept because of it I don't know. Not even sure if that has been considered. I'll continue my own personal research into this.

"Turn Right Heading 235, Climb to FL50, Maintain 210kts, Report Passing 3000ft"
A UK controller is unlikely to clear you to 'climb to FL50'. But I see you list your location as 'emerald isle', where flying at 6000 feet I have often been cleared to 'descend 4000 feet', which means I can descend to altitude 2000 feet. Correct?