PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT - BFS (Aldergrove)
Old 8th Jun 2010, 17:43
tigger2k8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ILS25, yes thats the obvious answer, and passenger numbers should be slightly better than expected this year, although the ash cloud has probably caused around 100,000 PAX less... the whole idea of a business is to make as much money as possible, an airport is a business... airports have been hit hard by the recession then closely followed by the ash cloud... that and throwing money into investments in the airport over the last 5 years (although little of the last 5 years investments are visable to passengers..) they have to get money back somehow.. if you want to send your view across to the airport, i advise you putting it in writing and posting it in, as that goes through "offical" channels..

EZY, who had their morming LTN-BHD divert to BFS today will be grateful of an airport close by, as will FR, BE and BMI... whoever was in the air traffic control tower earned every penny (and more) of their wages today, with all aircraft choosing 07 and the only way to get there is via bravo and travel down 25.... even looking at it all was headache material

eastconsbrook, no more crazy rumors these days?... i wouldn't feel sorry for the staff, id feel sorry for the person who makes decisions they will be sweating a little that all goes to plan, if they cant get the drain repair work finished by the time all the summer charters kick in, it will be very... very interesting

sky's4me, i agree with the hike to the likes of stand 14 or 15 in bad weather, not very pleasant, once the main terminal area has been upgraded i think its their plan to start construction on the pier, however it could be as long as 2013 before its operational....... even if the pier does take that long to come around, by the end of the year or early next year the marshalling and bus driving is to be handed over to the handling agents, so on bad weather days busses will be more available as its no longer up to the airport to find one of their staff to drive them.... the plans BFS have for the future will surely turn it into a modern day airport, sadly the management is hesitating about spending money until the airline business gets back to normal..

each airport has its good and bad points, sort of equals out... probably a good thing both BHD and BFS exist, as it supports a little bit of competition