PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To all you new cadets at ryan
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2010, 14:59
G.S. Willy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Batman

The current harsh industry reality, is by large created by ourselves, and our willingness to do anything to get ahead.

Many years ago the first, bright, newly licenced pilot, came up with the idea of paying for a relevant type-rating, to get ahead in the competition for a particular job. Leaving those whith a couple of thousand hours instructing, cropdusting, or flying mail in a piston twin at night, in the dust.
Soon, his classmates, and those coming after, saw his genious, and did the same thing.

The employers, of course, greeted this new development with open arms, saving money on training.

Further down the line, "employers", and training facilities realized that some people will stop at nothing, in the pursuit of getting into the right seat of a jet. They came up with an ever increasing number of ideas on how to make money on these people, soon you had to pay for: type-rating, linetraining, hotac, transportation, travel to base(changing at will), uniform, id card, sim-check, FC upgrade and more.
Creating todays harsh industry reality.

I am sure it will not stop here, as money is everything, talent, aptitude, and selection is nothing.

I am clueless on what to do about this, the only hope beeing that someone finally got up and said "No, this, I am not willing to accept". I fear that in the future, intelligent, pragmatic young peolpe will not concider flying a "carreer", as it is, in my opinion, not a profession anymore, but as I earlier stated,: "a rather expensive hobby", for noodleheads.

Last edited by G.S. Willy; 8th Jun 2010 at 17:42.