PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iPhone4 - It changes everything - AGAIN!
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2010, 12:06
Red Jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope they have improved the crap Assisted GPS. Pretty much useless unless you have 3g reception.
Actually, that is incorrect. Assisted GPS is in fact superior to regular GPS in that you will acquire a position quicker without the need to re-initialize the GPS if it has bee moved while turned off. The "assistance" in this context is that it uses Mobile network and selected WiFi transmissions to provide initial positioning.

If you have a device, such as a mobile phone - not functioning well in an environment where you do not receive 3G, such as on board an aircraft - you need to look at other explanations for why you do not receive a good GPS signal.

I have used mobile phones with Assisted GPS more than 2000 miles away from the nearest mobile phone tower, and provided you do not shield the GPS signal - they work like a treat, except you need to provide it with some initial co-ordinates to speed up acquisition if the phone has been moved while turned off.

And Gyro - thanks for the info
More likely a tuning fork type device
and that link. I am sure you are right - I pulled the laser giro thingamajig assertion out of my arse, in a fit of excitement. Very impressive functionality though, regardless of what makes it tick