PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Computer Flight Simulations for Training
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2001, 06:58
mstram

I would disagree with the original quoted message. I think the desktop sims are *very* realistic.

I have just attained my ppl in the last year, and it all started after playing with MS FS2000.

Before playing with the sim, planes / flying were a big mystery to me, but I'd always been curious about them.

After having the sim for only a couple of months I decided that I was going to go for the real thing !

For anyone who has never flown before, and is wondering what it's all about, these sims are a fantastic tool. For VFR flying, you will learn the 'sight pictures' associated with the different flight attitudes, climbs, descents / turns.

The instrument panels, ground navigation (VOR / NDB / ILS) , location of the airports, and modeling of the scenery are almost excactly like the real thing ! In fact all the frequencies for the Navvaids, the location of airports, and the runway headings and lengths are the same as the 'real' ones.

Before I did my first x-ctry for real, I did it the night before in MS FS, and the ground scenery, location of the towns, roads, was almost exactly like the real thing.

The instruments react realistically enough that you will get the basic ideas, ... pull the nose up and the airspeed will decrease ...... bank the plane and the DG / compass will move.

Anyone interested in learning how instrument flying works, either in a light plane or in the 'big iron' can experience it all with these sims. A number of these sims are certified after all by the FAA and Transport Canada for instrument training !

I just bought the '767 PIC' addon for MS FS, and at the same tiime I bought one of those 'flight in the cockpit' videos This addon is amazing. It models the 767 99% accurately. If you want to learn how to program an FMC/FMS, and fly a big Boeing with their AFDS (autopilot), this is THE sim to have (and it's only $40 !!!). The 200 pages of documentation are outstanding !....... (You can dowload it from Wilco's web site and check it out for free).

I ususally alternate my 'simming' time between a Cessna 182, or the 767. The 182 gives me practice that I can use for real, and the 767 is great for playing with 'big systems'.

If I ever get my own plane, I might not use the sim as much, but until that day simming is a great substitute when I can't afford to fly for real as much I would like.

Mike.