PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Hiring.... Cadets?!?!
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2010, 05:41
Artificial Horizon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fruet,

You are missing the point here, I am far from a Jetstar supporter, my job with them is simply a means to an end. What I am saying is that having experienced similar cadet program's at my previous two airlines they can be beneficial for both the company and the prospective cadets. Most airlines will only carry out such programmes if it helps with the bottom line. At British Airways the cadet or SEP (sponsored entry pilot) gets ZERO financial help from the airline, they have to pay for thier entire course upfront themselves and pass it before even being considered for entry into the airline. If they are then selected they get to work for BA on the reduced wage of £27,000 per year instead of the Direct Entry rate of £48,000. People do it because it is a foot in the door of an airline that would otherwise take years to be considered for. It works for the airline as they have a source of 'cheaper' bonded labour and it works for the cadet because they can be into an established airline at the age of 20 instead of pushing 30. Jetstar will be a similar deal for both sides. For those of you who are worried this is the end of recruitment from GA that is simply not the case. I heard from the horses mouth that it is both impossible and impractical to source all new recruitment through cadets, mainly for the fact they don't want 'all' their pilots having the same hours and experience, they still want GA drivers to come through as they will be the ones that will take commands when required 'due' to their experience.