PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Hiring.... Cadets?!?!
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2010, 01:10
tarmac12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the alternatives?

I finished my flying training in 2008 and have had absolutely zero luck on finding an entry level job since then. Global downturn is probably the reason for this. I did what everyone suggested, got my MECIR and "went up north". 6 months later no job and 3k poorer. The guys who I met who had been hired were all under 22 except one. I came across many mid to late 20's guys and girls and some over thirties. It became very obvious that no one was hiring anyone old enough to stand up for themselves when push came to shove. Bullying and practices which were considered to be not professional seemed more the norm. Also, the amount of wannabees looking for work was astounding.

GA, in my opinion seem just as bad as jetstar. Only take the young ones so you can bleed them and push them around (They won't complain,they want the hours) One company said to me that older pilots are pains in the a*** because they ask to many questions. I'm in my thirties and they said this to my face!

Dont worry, I wouldn't touch the Jetstar Cadetship with a 10 foot pole but the Qlink cadetship seems almost ok. 18k up front but at least you don't pay for your endo and you get 75% of your 18k back eventually. I know I wont get upgraded and wont have an ATPL but at Qlink it doesn't affect your pay. I wont be getting hired unless there is a severe shortage of pilots across the board in the near future. All the airlines know this and are playing on it.

I cant sit around for ever!

Anyone got a better idea?