PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A difficult career decision - advice appreciated!
Old 7th Jun 2010, 22:04
PAPI-74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would go with your opportunity – for the time being. Aviation, even though you have laid everything on the line, owes you nothing and is a fickle bitch (I learnt that the hard way). These airlines will screw you over the first opportunity they get. An IT company offering you a lifeline will probably appreciate what you do for them on a daily basis – an airline never will.
The holding pools are being emptied, but not at a rate worth blowing a good thing away for. And especially if it is for an airline that will charge you for a sim ride (+hotel, travel etc...).
NEVER pay for a TR, but if you really have no option, get a secure offer in writing. Airlines have been known to get pilots to pay for a TR, knowing that they were just giving their TRE’s work to keep them in check. No job was ever offered or given, and these guys paid dearly for it.
I would come back to it in 2 years when things have settled and back on the up. 1000’s are in the same boat and 1000’s have ATPL’s and a logbook full of JAR25 time who can’t get work.
Frankly, you have more chance of getting an STD from a Nun – go with the £££ and keep current for now. Maybe go instructing if you can. 6.5K well spent.